What Is a Godparent/Sponsor
Godparents officially represent the Church by witnessing what it means to live a baptized life, confirmed in the Holy Spirit and faithfully participating in the sacraments of Reconciliation and the Eucharist, the source and summit of the Christian life.
I can truthfully state all of the following:
- I am at least 16 years of age.
- I am a registered member of my parish.
- I am an active member at my parish. [financial support and involvement in ministries]
- I have received the sacraments of Baptism, Confirmation and Holy Communion.
- Relationship status:
I am married, and I married within the Catholic Church.
I am unmarried, nor am I co-habitating with my significant other [living together under the same roof].
- I am committed to my Catholic faith.
- I attend and participate in weekly Sunday Mass.
- I receive the God's mercy in Confession regularly and the Eucharist as often as possible.
- I witness to the teachings of the Catholic Church by the way I life my life as a disciple of Jesus Christ.
Steps to Ministering as an Official Godparent:
- Complete the St. Helen Godparent/Sponsor Documentation form in its entirety [complete with seal from parish] and submit.
- Register, Attend and Participate in the Godparent Baptism class. Bring proof of Reception of the Initiation sacraments [certificates and/or pictures] to the class.
- Be a Catholic witness as a model of faith, committed and active Catholic, and a support to our faith to the person[s] you desire to minister to throughout their life.